|The South River|
Now available: Piebird's cottage rental!
The South River begins as a trickle in Algonquin Park, about 55 miles from where it empties in to the South Bay of Lake Nipissing. In 1854, a geological survey called the South River the "Red Chalk River." The Ojibwa's called it "Nanamitagong" (or Namnitigong) meaning "Paint River" because of its iron rust colour.
The several nests of Osprey and the family of Bald Eagles nesting at the mouth attest to its healthy supply of fish. The South River is home to more than 40 species of fish, as well as plentiful varieties of other wildlife; Great Blue Heron, Beaver, Muskrat, Mergansers and other fowl. Ten pair of Trumpeter Swans have also been reintroduced to the area.
You can hear the gentle rush of Chapman's Chute from Piebird, as it's only a short paddle or boat ride away. In the spring watch the fish jump the chute or see the Sturgeon play and splash below the rushing waters.
Contact hosts Sherry & Yan -- (705) 724-1144
113 Chapman's Landing Rd., Nipissing Village ON., P0H 1W0